Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am gonna hang around in Airports..


The more I read about genuises and how they got to what they are today, I always find one common incident in their pasts. Waiting for flights at airports where ground breaking revelations ensue!

Here is Paul Krugman, Nobel Laureate for Economics 2008 claiming he had a groundbreaking revelation about Economic theory - and you guessed it right - at Boston's Logan Airport waiting for a flight!

Of course it took a while to convince anyone else of the truth of that vision. In fact the next year and a half was deeply frustrating: rejections by journals, lack of interest by most of my senior colleagues (though much support from Carlos Diaz-Alejandro), and a decision by the Yale department not to give me a research fellowship. I persevered, however, and in the spring of 1979 another patch of fog lifted, and I saw my way clear to integrate monopolistic competition and comparative advantage. (I can again describe the moment of revelation very precisely: the analytical trick that made the model possible came to me at Boston's Logan Airport, where I was waiting for a flight to Minneapolis).

Read the whole article here.

This is not the only example. If sages and saints of yesteryear attained nirvana under a tree in a forest, today they would need to sit in the airport waiting room to do the same. Global Warming had something to do with it?

I will from now spend more of my time at airports. Maybe the best of blog posts (unlike this one) will happen there! I wonder where I can sit at the Mumbai airport and attain Nirvana? This seems like the only place I can do that!

At the Mumbai International Airport

But then again, I dont want to get Paul Krugman like 'Welfare State is the best' kind of ideas either!

No comments: